Gauges w00t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gauges w00t

Well, I got my new gauge set! It consists of Temperature, Volt Gauge, and Oil Pressure. I got them earlier this week but, to my dismay, the voltmeter didn't work So I told the guy at the auto parts store that it didn't work, and he told me not to worry that he would order it for Tuesday. This was last Saturday I think. Anyway, Tuesday came around and he apologized and told me that the gauges were backordered and they won't be in until friday. I so I waited until friday. So, I went there after school, and there they were. I was very happy to see that the voltmeter worked as well, as that what set me back last Saturday. So the next dilema, since all the gauges are mechanical, was to run all the feeds through the firewall. A little setback there too. The oil pressure line was too short. And they way I ran it, I kept it away from the heat, so I went to get more line. Got that connected it to the other one, and got that gauge hooked up. It was getting dark, so I wanted to see if those two gauges worked. I started her up, and slowly but surely, the oil ran it's path through the 12 feet of line to the gauge. The temperature gauge worked. So by the time the engine was warmed up, the oil gauge read that the pressure was slightly under 50psi. I was surprised from that because the damn engine knocks. All the gauges lit up. But I think I need them brighter. I can't see them all that well. Anyway, I called it a night, and so I just finished hooking up the volt gauge. I hooked it up to the wiper relay on the fuse box. Because to my surpise, the radio fuse always gave 12 volts. But what ever. Here are my gauges. I was originally gonna do a setup like Blaze did, but I got lazy and I said forget it, so I stuck the gauges under the ashtray. So here they are...

Cool. Looks great!
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I decided that whatever I end up doing to my ma's CV I will try to hide the guages and keep the interior looking stock. That way someone will have to hope that all her car has is a semi-loud exhaust and nice wheels.

Packman

Comment

Looks nice! Same place I mounted my gauges. Strange, though, I've never seen mechanical gauges with only a 90 degree sweep--usually mechanical gauges are 270 degree rotation.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
        1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
        But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Maybe I got lucky. I like where they are. I am surprised to say that cause before I was doing it, I didn't think they would be any good there. but they are fine. All I need are some brighter lights. I need very bright clear lights. Then I can slide the cover over it and they'll be blue. That's what I have on there now, and they match the instrument panel perfectly!!!

Comment

Only problem I had with mounting my gauges there was that the gauge panel is so heavy I can't close teh ashtray anymore lol

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

mine is kinda like that, it kinda hangs down a little bit. Did you mount your panel directly behind that little tab that you would normally pull the ashtray down for? Or back more? If you put it back more, it might not be able to stay up

Comment

It's mounted exactly like yours is, right behind the tab:

Comment

hmm. Maybe your gauges are heavier than mine. Mine are 2" Sunpros what are yours Nate? Never mind you have four gauges lol. That might be why.

Comment

looks like Stewart-Warner if my eyes tell me correctly.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah, mine are Stewart Warner...and they's heavy! That panel is chrome plated steel and the gauges are metal as well, with glass fronts.

Comment

Well, Chrome and glass is lighter than thin metal and plastic. Those gauges look real nice in there. Did all of those come in one kit?

Comment

I'm honestly not sure...they're at least 20 years older than me lol

Comment

I thought they looked stained/faded

Comment

So they were in the car before you got them?

Comment

Working...
                              X